We're delighted that Westminster City Council has chosen to sponsor one of the Trust's People's Plaques, through funding from the St James' Ward Fund. The plaque chosen celebrates Aldridge's Horse Bazaar, whose extensive premises occupied the site on Upper St Martin's Lane which is now occupied by Orion House and Meridian House.
Opened in 1753, Aldridge's Horse Bazaar or Repository for Horses and Carriages was a famous horse mart, located close to Long Acre which was famous for its carriage and coach building and ancillary trades. During the mid 19th century there were accusations of insider dealing and the proprietor advertised many auctions with the statement that 'under no circumstances is the practice of misrepresenting the ownership of horses ever resorted to.' In 1895 it was described as 'especially famous for the sale of middleclass and tradesmen's horses'.
The last horse sale was held in 1926, but by then there had also been many greyhound sales, and motor cars had been sold there from as early as 1907. Aldridge's closed in 1940 and the buildings were demolished in the 1950s.
The long-awaited works to Earlham Street West, between Shaftesbury Avenue and The Dials, were completed just before Christmas. The scheme, which was funded by Shaftesbury plc, is aimed at improving what is seen as a main pedestrian gateway into Seven Dials and beyond to Covent Garden, destined to become even busier once the new Cross Rail station at Tottenham Court Road opens in December 2018.
The Trust is delighted to have been shortlisted for the 2017 Camden Design Awards for its lighting scheme. Over 100 projects were submitted for consideration and we're very proud to be on a shortlist which includes prestigious projects such as The Bartlett School of Architecture; Google's new HQ at King's Cross; and Lauderdale House.
The Trust is delighted to have supplied the Mercers’ Company with external lighting for their new Mercers Walk development which opens up a previously hidden courtyard to form a walkway between Mercer Street and Langley Street. The brackets have been designed by Ian Ritchie, architect for this major scheme.
The Trust has obtained a trademark for its bespoke Windsor-style street lanterns which are now called The Covent Garden Lantern™. Both the façade and post-mounted lanterns and associated brackets were designed by trustee Paul Draper and this long-life product incorporates a number of innovative features.
The Seven Dials Trust unveiled their People's Plaque commemorating the Roxy Club on 25th April 2017. Marking forty years since the opening of the infamous showcase of Punk, the legendary London venue was also celebrated with a public exhibition of iconic photographs and posters.
You can get a flavour of the unveiling and the private view of the exhibition event with this short film.
The first tranche of twelve People’s Plaques has been sponsored –
We are delighted to report that we have secured sponsorship for the first twelve People's Plaques.
Trustee Mark Rupert Read is sponsoring the plaque to television pioneer John Logie Baird. This will be installed on Tower Street, commemorating the first experimental television broadcasts which Baird carried out there between 1926 and 1928.
The Trust owns the Sundial Pillar and has the responsibility for maintaining it. Located on a busy roundabout, the Pillar's beautiful Portland Stone is subject to the depredations of traffic pollution. In summer 2016 we contracted specialists Thomann Hanry to undertake the cleaning of the 40 foot pillar, kindly sponsored by Shaftesbury.
Trust recognised at the London Forum Media Awards 2015 –
Our Neighbourhood Street Name Plates & People’s and Street History Plaques projects won the prestigious London Forum of Amenity and Civic Societies’ Media Awards 2015 in the category of Promoting Local History.
The Trust designed and raised funds for 40 new street name plates –
As part of the Seven Dials Renaissance Project, the Trust designed and raised funds for 40 new street name plates. In line with the aim to harmonise street furniture in the area, the plates incorporate the crest of the ancient parish of St. Giles. They also feature the former names of the historic Seven Dials Streets. Installation was completed in summer 2014.
Major new lighting scheme installed after seven years’ intensive work –
Following seven years of intensive and sometimes frustrating work, 2014 saw the installation of the Trust’s major new lighting scheme – the replacement of post-mounted street lights by bespoke facade-mounted lanterns throughout Seven Dials.