Print this page

Seven Dials - Its History (more info)

Note six streets and a church. Seven streets were eventually laid out and no church.

The Comyn Ching Triangle lease granted in 1692 by King William and Queen Mary to James Ward on the nomination of Thomas Neale.

William Hodges 1776 painting just after the removal of the Sundial Pillar

William Hodges' 1776 painting, just after the removal of the Sundial Pillar.

1658 Faithorne and Newcourt map. Shows the site of the Seven Dials development as fields on the edge of farmland. Courtesy of Camden Local History Library

1658 Faithorne and Newcourt map. Shows the site of the Seven Dials development as fields on the edge of farmland. Courtesy of Camden Local History Library.

1723 John Strype St Giles parish map, showing the final layout of Seven Dials and the orientation of the Sundial Pillar. Courtesy of Guildhall Library, London.

1723 John Strype St Giles Parish map, showing the final layout of Seven Dials and the orientation of the Sundial Pillar. Courtesy of The Guildhall Library, London.

1745 James Rocque map, showing some early street names and confirmation of the orientation of the Sundial Pillar.

1745 James Rocque map, showing some early street names and confirmation of the orientation of the Sundial Pillar.

1889 Charles Booth's Seven Dials poverty map.1889 Charles Booth's Seven Dials poverty map.

1889 Charles Booth’s poverty map: note the stark variation between the black designation of Nottingham Court (thought to be a base of prostitution) and the well-to-do fringes of Upper St Martin's Lane and Shaftesbury Avenue.

1895 Earlham Street (West), showing the lively street market activities, traditional shopfronts and decorative street furniture.

1895 Earlham Street (West), showing the lively street market activities, traditional shopfronts and decorative street furniture.

Circa 1895 The Crown public house, looking North. The form of Monmouth Street and Short's Gardens retained to this day.

Earlham Street (West) c. 1890, showing one of Seven Dials' many public houses with its decorative lamp bracket.

Earlham Street (West) c. 1890, showing one of Seven Dials' many public houses with its decorative lamp bracket.

The Bowl Brewery 1846, off Short-s Gardens and Endell Street

1846 The Bowl Brewery, off Short's Gardens and Endell Street.

Charles Dickens Sketches of Boz 1868 Edition Native Diallers

'Native Diallers' — from Charles Dickens' 'Sketches of Boz', 1868 edition. Illustration by Cruikshank. Dickens described the old clothes market in Monmouth Street 1836 as ‘the burial place of fashions’.

The Organ in the Court- Gustav Dore 1872. Courtesy of The Museum of London

'The Organ in the Court' by Gustav Dore. Courtesy of The Museum of London.

Dudley Street c1860 now Shaftesbury Avenue. Gustav Dore

Dudley Street c. 1860, now Shaftesbury Avenue, by Gustav Dore.

Earlham Street 1890.

1890 Earlham Street.

1905 Earlham Street (West). Courtesy of The Museum of London.

1905 Earlham Street (West). Courtesy of The Museum of London.

In mid-Victorian times Seven Dials was well-known for its Bird Fair and the sale of animals. Courtesy of Camden Local History Library.

In mid-Victorian times Seven Dials was well-known for its Bird Fair and the sale of animals. Courtesy of Camden Local History Library.

1877 'The Cheap Fish of St Giles' by John Thomson

1877 'The Cheap Fish of St Giles' by John Thomson.

Rose and Three Tuns, Little Earl Street (now Earlham Street).

Rose and Three Tuns, Little Earl Street (now Earlham Street).

1877 clothes shop in what is now Tower Court.

1877 clothes shop in what is now Tower Court.

1913 Little White Lion Street, now Mercer Street, showing the hoist at No. 23.

1913 Little White Lion Street, now Mercer Street, showing the hoist at No. 23.

Corner of Earlham Street and Monmouth Street.

Corner of Earlham Street and Monmouth Street.

1980 Ellen Keeley's the famous barrowmakers, in Neal Street.

1980 Ellen Keeley's the famous barrowmakers, in Neal Street.

Orange Court, Drury Lane by Gustav Dore 1872. Courtesy of The Museum of London.

Orange Court, Drury Lane by Gustav Dore 1872. Courtesy of The Museum of London.

Edward Pierce's original drawing of his column circa 1693, from the British Museum. The handwritten dimensions are not the same as the dimensions as drawn.

Edward Pierce's original drawing of his column circa 1693, from the British Museum. The handwritten dimensions are not the same as the dimensions as drawn.

The junction of Earlham Street and Shelton Street at Neal Street in 1988 and 1888, showing the Woodyard Brewery buildings very little changed.

The junction of Earlham Street and Shelton Street at Neal Street in 1988 and 1888, showing the Woodyard Brewery buildings very little changed.

Circa 1880 Looking north up Monmouth Street. The Crown public house has hardly changed except for the removal of its dome topped by a large crown.

Circa 1880. Looking north up Monmouth Street. The Crown public house has hardly changed except for the removal of its dome topped by a large crown.

Circa 1910. Corner of Earlham Street west and Mercer Street north.

Circa 1910. Corner of Earlham Street west and Mercer Street north.

1940s Monmouth Street shopfronts, which were to be beautifully restored in the 1980s.

1940s Monmouth Street shopfronts, which were to be beautifully restored in the 1980s.

1910 Mercer Street north, showing small businesses typical of the area including a bicycle repair shop, hairdresser and wardrobe dealer.

1910 Mercer Street north, showing small businesses typical of the area including a bicycle repair shop, hairdresser and wardrobe dealer.

Seven Dials 1744 by William Rushbury.

Seven Dials 1744 by William Rushbury.

Seven Dials Bird Market c. 1880.

Seven Dials Bird Market c. 1880.

1950 Shelton Street.

1950 Shelton Street.

St Giles.

St Giles.

Circa 1960. The desolate Dials.

Circa 1960. The desolate Dials.

The Dials 1870. (From an Original Sketch.)

The Dials 1870. (From an Original Sketch.)

1890 Seven Dials. Courtesy of Chethams Library, Manchester.

1890 Seven Dials. Courtesy of Chethams Library, Manchester.